REQUEST AN UPGRADE
Have an Economy Class ticket but would like to fly with all the services and comforts of a higher class? Nothing could be simpler, just ask for an upgrade and fly in Premium Economy or Business Class!
Make an offer for a higher class in which you are interested in traveling, enter your method of payment, and if the offer is accepted you can enjoy a unique experience at a price decided by you! Remember: the higher your bid value, the better your chances of flying in your chosen class!
The seats made available for the initiative are limited and may vary according to the destination, the number of bookings made for the flight, and according to the participation criteria indicated below in the FAQ and in the Terms and Conditions. Participation couldn't be simpler:
1. check immediately if your ticket is eligible to participate in the offer, click here;
2. make your offer indicating the price you wish to pay;
3. enter your credit card details, double check everything and submit your offer. You will receive an email confirming your participation;
4. you can modify or cancel the offer until it has been accepted by ITA Airways, which should occur between 72 and 24 hours before the departure of the flight;
5. if the offer is accepted, the amount will be charged to your credit card; the ticket in your possession will remain valid and when you check in, you will receive the boarding pass for Premium Economy Class or Business Class.
Who has the right to request an upgrade?
All customers holding an ITA Airways ticket starting with the number 055 and that do not fall into any of the following categories:
tickets issued for domestic flights;
tickets for which some special assistance has been requested;
tickets with infant bookings;
tickets with group bookings;
tickets with a pet in the cabin;
Volare award tickets;
upgrade already carried out using "Points";
Using homogeneous criteria, ITA Airways will from time to time establish the categories of tickets purchased in Economy Class (for example based on the fare class paid) that allow you to request an upgrade; it is necessary to verify your ownership of the request here
The number of seats made available for the initiative is limited and may vary depending on the destination and the number of seats sold for the flight.
ITA Airways may invite customers to request a flight upgrade via an invitation email if they meet the following requirements:
have booked the flight at least ten days before departure;
have entered an email address in the booking.
Can I request an upgrade on flights operated by ITA Airways partner airlines?
No, the service is only available on flights operated by ITA Airways with ticket code 055
I'm traveling with my 14-year-old son, I made the offer for both of us but I only received one upgrade, what happens in this case?
In the event that you are traveling together with a passenger between the ages of 3 and 14 (with two separate bookings) and only one of the two has had the upgrade confirmed, as it is not possible to travel in different classes (for example one in Business Class and the other in Economy class), the accepted offer will be refunded unless the unaccompanied minor procedure is requested for the child, with payment of the relative supplement. To carry out the procedure, please contact the ITA Airways Customer Center.
What are the benefits of upgrading to Premium Economy Class?
Ergonomic leather armchairs, reclining by about 120° and up to 40% more space than the Economy Class;
10.6-inch LCD monitor with noise cancellation headphones and a wide choice of films on demand;
welcome drink and hot dishes, snacks or breakfast, of the Italian regional tradition according to the flight time;
espresso coffee and digestive drink, with limoncello available;
special, quiet cabin;
priority check-in desks;
What are the benefits of upgrading to Business Class on long-haul routes?
Leather armchairs that can be reclined up to 180°, with massage function and independent access to the aisle from each seat;
priority baggage claim;
15.4-inch LCD monitor with noise cancellation headphones and a wide choice of films on demand with the possibility of choosing up to ten languages;
menus designed by Gambero Rosso inspired by Italian territories, accompanied by a carefully selected wine list to enhance the proposed courses;
priority check-in desks and priority lanes for security checks;
priority boarding and disembarking.
What are the benefits of upgrading to Business Class on medium-haul routes?
Recaro leather armchairs with ergonomic design and free central seat;
priority check-in and baggage drop-off counters;
priority boarding and priority lanes at security checks;
menus inspired by the Italian tradition and differentiated according to the length of the flight, with a wide choice of drinks, soft drinks, sparkling wine and carefully selected wines.
Will I earn Volare program points by requesting an upgrade?
No, you will not accumulate extra points but you will accumulate points based on the original ticket you purchased.
Will I be entitled to the baggage allowance for the higher class for which I have submitted the upgrade offer?
No, the baggage allowance will remain the same as the ticket originally purchased.
What happens if my offer is accepted?
If your offer is accepted, the amount offered will be charged to your credit card. We will send you a confirmation email to the address you provided at the time of booking or in the upgrade request process.
When will I know if my offer has been accepted?
You will be informed via email of the outcome between 72 and 8 hours before the departure of your flight,.
What happens if my offer is not accepted?
Nothing!There will be no change to the booking of the original flight.
When I try to enter my booking number and my surname, I get an error message: what should I do in this case?
Double check your booking code and last name, then try again. Your reservation code is a six-character code.
Will you send me a confirmation text message if my offer is accepted?
No, from ITA Airways you will only receive a confirmation email, though you may receive a text notification from your bank regarding the charge on your credit card.
Can I change the offer made at a later stage?
You can modify or cancel the offer until it is accepted by ITA Airways, which should take place between 72 and 24 hours before the departure of the flight;
What happens if I want to change my flight after submitting an upgrade offer?
If you wish to change your flight after your offer has been accepted, the amount corresponding to your offer will not be refunded. In addition, the fare conditions of the original ticket will apply.
If you wish to change your flight before accepting your offer, it will no longer be valid. If you wish, you can make a new proposal for the new flight booked, if possible. The previous offer cannot be automatically transferred to the new flight.
I canceled my original offer and now I would like to make another offer. What should I do?
After canceling your initial offer, you can submit a new offer using the links in the upgrade offer invitation email sent to you or go to the ITA Airways website.
What happens if my offer was unsuccessful?
You will receive an email confirming that your offer has not been accepted and the original flight booking will not be changed.Of course, no cost will be charged to your credit card!
Can I make a new offer after receiving the email informing me that my offer was unsuccessful?
No, it will no longer be possible to submit other offers for the same flight.
Can I choose my seat when I upgrade?
No, you cannot select the seat when sending the upgrade offer. You will only be able to choose your seat during check-in if your offer is accepted.
I have a booking for a group of five people on a single Booking Code (PNR). Is it possible to request an upgrade for only two guests?
No. If you have made a reservation with ITA Airways, you can contact our Customer Center and ask the operator to split the reservation. If you made your booking through a travel agency, you can make this request to your travel agent. Please note, you can submit the offer only up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the flight.
What documents do I need to present at the airport?
The ticket issued with the new booking class and the document relating to the purchase of the upgrade that will be sent to you via email, or the boarding pass issued following the web check-in.
Can I choose any amount for my upgrade offer?
No. The system has a predefined minimum and maximum value for the offer. It will not be possible to make offers lower or higher than the expected range.
What is the strength indicator on the offer page for?
The strength indicator is a guide that shows the strength of your offer, but does not guarantee its success.
Can I make offers with different amounts for the upgrade of each segment of my flight?
Yes, you can offer different amounts for each segment of your trip, if eligible for the upgrade.
Can I change my offer by entering a higher or lower amount?
Yes, you can change the amount until it is accepted by ITA Airways. To change your offer, please use the link in the upgrade offer email or go to the ITA Airways website.
What fare rules apply to the ticket being upgraded?
The same ticket rules apply as with the original purchase fare, including costs for changes or cancellations. The baggage allowance remains that of the ticket of the original purchase fare; any excess baggage charges will be applied.
If I have already entered an offer and want to use a different card, how can I change my card information?
You must first cancel your current offer, after which you can submit a new offer using your preferred card.
If the offer selected for the upgrade is unsuccessful due to an issue connected to your credit card, you will receive an email alert containing a link to enter your new card details.
Will my offer amount be refunded if the flight I upgraded for has been canceled?
In the event of cancellation of a flight by ITA Airways, we will try to accommodate you in the higher travel class on the next flight, otherwise the refund for the full amount of the upgrade will be credited to the card used for the purchase.
My offer was successful, but I would like to cancel my ticket for that flight segment. Will I be refunded for the amount I offered for the upgrade?
In the event of ticket cancellation or changes, you will not be refunded any amount for the upgrade purchased.
- The following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") of the "Request an Upgrade" initiative govern the criteria and procedures for participating and submitting the offer(s) ("Offer") made by the guest who purchased for if and/or third parties, in a single booking, one or more ITA Airways (055) ticket(s) for one or more international and intercontinental flights regarding the possibility of accessing one or more upgrades, or the passage for consideration from class of service originally purchased to the higher one ("Upgrade");
- The customer in order to be the recipient of the initiative “Request an Upgrade” must be at least 18 years old and have the ability to act;
- Offers must always be made for all passengers on the booking, in accordance with these Terms and Conditions, and paid for using a credit card;
- the customer can access “Request an Upgrade” through the ITA Airways website or through the email received at the email address provided when booking the flight ticket;
- Offers can be made after purchasing your ticket;
- the customer can modify or cancel the Offer until it is accepted by ITA Airways, which may take place between 72 and 24 hours before the departure of the flight; In the event of cancellation of the Offer, it will no longer be considered a valid Offer;
- ITA Airways will evaluate the offer according to the size and objective criteria of a commercial nature, as well as the availability of seats dedicated to the initiative;
- ITA Airways will inform the customer via email if his upgrade request has been accepted.
- It will not be possible to access the “Request an Upgrade”initiative for customers in possession of the following tickets:
- tickets issued for domestic flights;
- tickets for which some special assistance has been requested;
- tickets with infant bookings;
- tickets with group bookings;
- tickets with a pet in the cabin;
- Volare program award tickets;
- upgrade already carried out using "Points";
- ITA Airways establishes from time to time with homogeneous criteria the categories of tickets purchased in Economy Class (for example based on the fare class paid) that allow you to request an upgrade; it is necessary to verify the ownership of the request here. The seats dedicated to the initiative are limited and may vary depending on the destination and the flight situation.
- 10. in the event that ITA Airways accepts the Offer, the full amount will be charged to the credit card of the customer who made the Offer upon acceptance;
- 11. ITA Airways will send the ticket again, modified with the new class object of the accepted offer and an additional document relating to the certification of the purchase of the upgrade, for each passenger included in the original flight booking. The total amount charged will include all taxes and surcharges where applicable due for the Upgrade;
- 12. the amount on the credit card will appear under the name of "ITA Airways Upgrade";
- 13. once the Offer has been accepted by ITA Airways and the amount has been charged to the customer's credit card, there are no refunds or changes, except for the following exceptions:
- due to a disruption by the Company (e.g. flight cancellation, aircraft change), ITA Airways will provide a new booking for the customer in the class subject to an upgrade on the first flight used. In the event of the unavailability of the upgraded class, the customer will be refunded to the same card used to pay for the upgrade;
- the customer misses the flight following a delay or cancellation of the connecting flight operated by ITA Airways or by a Partner Company;
- in the event that the Offer has been accepted and the credit card has been debited with the relative amount, but the customer has not received the Upgrade. The refund request to be accepted must include the boarding pass for the flight in question. In the event of failure to present the original boarding pass, ITA Airways will in no way be required to reimburse it for the amount paid for the Upgrade.
- Of close relatives: spouse, children (including adoptive parents), parents, brothers/sisters, grandparents, grandchildren, in-laws and cousins; in this case it is necessary to demonstrate the degree of kinship with an appropriate certificate (family status or other issued by bodies in charge such as district or registry office);
- Of passengers, relatives or friends, present on the same PNR.
- the waiver due to illness/death must be proven by a valid hospital certificate or death certificate;
- in the event that you are traveling together with a passenger between the ages of 3 and 14 and only one of the two has had the upgrade confirmed;
- any refund requests must be sent to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
- the service is not refundable in case of voluntary renunciation.
- 14. The fare conditions of the original ticket purchased will remain valid and will also apply in the event of acceptance of the Offer and subsequent upgrade - including but not limited to cancellation policies, charges for changes, baggage allowance and related rules to the accumulation of points of the Volare program.
- 15. In the event of a ticket change by the customer, ITA Airways will in no way be required to assign a seat in the class of service for which the upgrade has been requested;
- 16. ITA Airways reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at its discretion;
Pursuant to and by effect of Legislative Decree No. 196/03 – Code regarding the protection of personal data – ITA Airways declares that the personal data, recorded for the purpose of this offer as indicated in the terms and conditions published, will be processed, automatically, exclusively to fulfill the obligations, contractual obligations deriving from the offer.
ITA Airways will use the company Plusgrade with its legal office at:
1801 McGill College Avenue
Montréal, Québec, Canada H3A 2N4
Processing will be carried out in full compliance with the EU Directive 95/46/EC.