Italy, Europe and Non-EU Countries


Thanks to the Schengen Agreement, there are no longer systematic controls at the borders of EU Member States, and EU citizens may travel freely with just their ID cards, as long as they are valid for travel abroad and recognized by the destination country.

Learn which countries belong to the SCHENGEN Area


For EU countries that have not signed the agreement and countries that do not belong to the EU, a passport is required, unless bilateral agreements are in place.


It is the passenger's responsibility to check with the embassy or consulate of the destination or transit country whether a visa is required.


Besides an identity card, passport and driver's license (paper or laminated), the documents listed in Italian Presidential Decree 445/2000 are also valid for travel inside the country.


Check the POLICE website