When you purchase a ticket through ITA Airways’ U.S. web site, we will allow you to cancel without penalty and receive a full refund within 24 hours after your purchase, if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
Cancellations and refunds for qualifying web site purchases may be requested by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week) or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
CODE SHARE FLIGHTS
In the case of code share flights, the baggage policy of the Partner Airline that operates the flight applies for the entire duration of the trip, if operated entirely by the Partner. To find out about the luggage policy should there be connecting flights operated by different companies, please contact the Customer Center.
The luggage policy of the marketing company, whose code is shown on the ticket, applies to all flights to/from the United States.
See the rules applied by our Partner Companies:
SkyTeam Partner - Aeroflot, Aeromexico, Air Europa, Air France, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, CSA Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Kenya Airways, KLM, Korean Air, Tarom, Vietnam Airlines
SIZE, WEIGHT AND AMOUNT
When you check-in at the desk in the airport, your bags will be weighed and tagged with your name, your flight itinerary, airport codes, flight numbers and dates. The desk staff will stick a receipt of this tag onto your ticket so that you can identify your luggage upon arrival and so that, should the bags be lost, they are easier to track. We suggest you also put your own personal luggage tag on the bag, including your contact information, so that you can be reached in the event of a problem.
For more information, visit the dedicated web page.
Make sure your luggage is sufficiently sturdy and does not exceed the total size limit of 158cm (height + width + depth). Cardboard boxes may be accepted as checked-in baggage as long as they bear a name, are wrapped in cellophane and do not exceed the above mentioned size limit.
The cost of your ITA Airways ticket includes the transportation of a certain amount of luggage (known as Allowance). This allowance varies according to the travel class and destination. The allowance is to be intended as a number and maximum weight allowed and depends on the date of the issuance of the ticket and not on the date of the flight.
If your luggage exceeds the pieces, weight or size allowed you will be required to pay an excess baggage charge at the ITA Airways ticket desk at the airport.
Click here to find out about the allowance and excess baggage regulations that apply for tickets purchased on or since January 7, 2013.
Excess pieces, sizes and weights can be cumulative. There may be charges applied for issuing receipts in airports where ITA Airways is not present. These must be paid by the passenger.
For more details about charges or other information, you can contact us by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week).
Infants up to 23 months: 10kg allowance. Children from 2 to/incl. 11 years of age: same allowance as adults. Strollers are transported for free for children up to/incl. 11 years of age in all travel classes and to all destinations.
Sports equipment weighing less than 23 kg is considered normal luggage and is included in the overall luggage allowance, and should other luggage be loaded into the hold, an excess surcharge will apply. Should the equipment weigh more, normal excess luggage fees will apply.
Click here to see the table for the excess baggage fees* applicable to surf and windsurf boards and tandem bikes on single flights.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR SURF AND WINDSURF BOARDS
Depending on the size of the aircraft, surf and windsurf boards may not be able to be boarded. Because of the variety of the dimensions of this type of sports equipment, please check with the Freight Regulations Board to organize their shipping.
Please note that for the check-in and shipping of surf and windsurf equipment you must:
- declare your intention to ship this item when you book your flight and, should you take a connecting flight on another Carrier, get approval from this Carrier, otherwise the shipping permits are valid only for the ITA Airways flight
- check in for your flight at least an hour before flight departure, with respect to the check-in time limit
- make sure the surf and windsurf equipment is properly packaged in containers or wrapped to protect it during loading and unloading operations
For more information please you can contact us by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week).
*The currency used for payment of the excess baggage charge is as follows: EUR (from Europe, East Europe, Japan and China), CAD (from Canada) and USD (from USA and rest of the world).
WEAPONS AND AMMUNITION
Weapons and ammunition are not included in the baggage allowance. They must be registered during check-in and payment for their transportation is based on the flight destination. Each passenger is allowed to carry a maximum of 20kg of weapons and a maximum of 5kg of ammunition.
Click here to see the table indicating the cost* for transporting weapons and ammunition.
The transportation of weapons and ammunition is governed by special regulations stemming from Law N° 694 dated December 23,1974. According to article 30 of the public safety consolidation act dated June 18, 1931, N° 773, weapons are to be considered personal firearms and any weapon, including items which can cut or puncture as daggers, knives and similar, whose natural purpose is to harm others.
The transportation of weapons and ammunition is under the direct control of the police and, as such, your intention of traveling with arms must be declared when you are booking your flight. The weapons must be registered and tagged all the way to their final destination and will be permitted to travel in the hold only under the following conditions:
- the weapons must be unloaded, disassembled and packaged in a proper locked container. ITA Airways can provide, for a surcharge, small weapons or ammunition containers measuring 30x22x8 cm for passengers who do not have them.
- ammunition must:
- not exceed 5 kg (11 lb) per passenger
- be properly protected against crushing and brusque movements
- packaged in locked individual metal, wooden or fiber containers which can withstand crushing and fire
- transported for sports activities
Incendiary or explosive bullets or ammunition may not be transported under any circumstances.
Considering the special nature of this sort of baggage, you will receive precise information regarding police regulations and customs procedures. This allows you to have all of the right documents ready and avoid any problems with the authorities while you travel.
TRANSIT THROUGH ITALY
If your trip includes a stopover and connecting flight in Italy, the weapons will be cleared by customs in the Italian airport both on arrival and upon departure, even if they are traveling to another destination inside the country or are tagged through to a foreign destination. Upon arrival, the weapons will be escorted by ITA Airways, or by a representative of ITA Airways, to the airport police who will then ensure they are delivered to the proper place. For more information, you can contact us by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week)..
*The currency used for payment of the weapons transportation charge is as follows: EUR (from Europe, Eastern Europe andJapan), CAD (from Canada) or USD (from USA and the rest of the world).
A musical instrument in a case which does not exceed 100 cm in length, is considered normal baggage. Cases with instruments exceeding this size will be shipped as cargo.
TRANSPORTING YOUR CELLO
Your cello will travel with you in the cabin and you must book and pay for a seat for it. The cello must be housed in a hard case no larger than the following dimensions: 52 cm wide, 40 cm deep, 135 cm high. These measurements include the base support (if it cannot be disassembled).
If the cello travels in a vertical position:
- the tariff applied is the same as that for an Economy Class ticket for an adult
If the cello travels horizontally:
- the tariff applied just for the cello is the same as that for an Full Fare Economy Class ticket for an adult (Y class)
You must check in with your cello at least 30 minutes before the check-in time limit. Once on board, the cello will be strapped into a bulkhead seat or, if that’s not available, directly into a window seat or similar.
For more information, you can contact us by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week).
Don’t want to leave your dog, cat, ferret or canary behind when you go on vacation?
Here are some tips on how to make your pet’s airplane trip as comfortable as possible:
- get it used to its carrier or a cage – if it goes into the hold – for at least five days before you travel
- give it frequent but modest quantities of water before takeoff
- feed it up to four hours before takeoff and make sure it has enough food for the entire trip
- check with your vet to see if your pet might benefit from tranquilizers
Not every aircraft has animal transport facilities and the maximum sizes of the pet carriers they can take on board vary. Please find out if your pet can travel with you by calling +39 06 65640.
DOGS, CATS AND FERRETS
In order to travel within the EU, cats and dogs must have the following:
- an up-to-date pet passport issued by a veterinarian doctor that lists all the vaccinations the pet has had and its current state of health
- a legible tattoo or microchip
Please remember that:
- pets younger than 3 months, and therefore not yet treated with a rabies vaccine, cannot travel within Europe
- check the rules, regulations and restrictions that apply to the country you are traveling to at their local embassy or consulate offices, or consult the IATA Travel Information Manual
- no pets can travel to the United Kingdom or Ireland
- transportation for recognized assistance or guide dogs accompanying blind and deaf passengers is free of charge
There may be other restrictions to the introduction of certain animal species depending on the country of destination.
In order to prevent the spread of the aviary (bird) flu, the EU and the Ministry of Health have placed a total ban on the transportation of birds from Asia, Turkey, Russia, South Africa, Rumania, Croatia and the Balkan Peninsula. For public health safety reasons, parrots and parakeets cannot be transported.
Click here to see the fares* applicable to the transportation of pets.
Certain conditions must be met for the pet to travel with you in the cabin:
- for the entire journey it must remain in a carrier no larger than:
- 24 cm high
- 40 cm long
- 20 cm wide
- the animal must be comfortable, able to turn around and lie down in the carrier, which must be well ventilated, waterproof and sturdy, preferably semi-rigid or soft as long as it meets the previous conditions
- the carrier may hold up to 5 animals of the same species as long as the total weight does not exceed 10 kg (including the carrier and food)
If these conditions are not met or if the animal(s) disturb(s) passengers, the captain reserves the right to remove the pet and carrier to the hold.
*the value of the fares reported is in: EUR (from Europe, Eastern Europe, Japan and China), CAD (to Canada) or USD (USA and rest of world)
UNACCOMPANIED MINOR SERVICES
Unaccompanied Minor services are aimed at passengers who are under the age of 14 traveling to a domestic destination, under the age of 15 traveling to an international destination, traveling alone or with an of-age companion or adult traveling in a ticket class (business/premium economy/economy) different from that of the minor.
To book the service you can contact us by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week) or by sending an email to email@example.com or you can book it through your travel agent: provide the general information and phone number of the person accompanying the minor to the airport and of the person picking the minor up at the arrival airport. Should there be connecting flights, the minor cannot be booked onto the last flight of the day for his/her destination from a stopover airport, unless that flight is the only flight departing that day. The person accompanying the minor to the airport must remain at the airport until the flight boarded by the unaccompanied minor is airborne.
When checking in, please provide:
- A photocopy of the ID card of the person accompanying the minor to the airport
- A valid travel document for the minor
- the Unaccompanied minor "AFFIDAVIT" entirely filled out and, in the case of minors under the age of 14 on international flights
- a Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for Travel Abroad signed by the parents or by the legal guardian and authenticated by the Questura and which includes the name of the airline to which the minor is entrusted
Click here to see the Unaccompanied Minor service fee.
VOLUNTARY UNACCOMPANIED MINOR
Underage passengers traveling alone who are older than the mandatory minor age can request a new service called the Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor service. This service offers accompaniment during travel for children between the ages of:
- 14 - 17 for domestic air travel
- 15 – 17 for all air travel
Book the Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor service by calling 877-793-1717* (24 hours daily, 7 days a week) or by sending an email to specialassistance@ita-airwayshe service charges and airport and in-flight assistance are the same as those applied to mandatory Unaccompanied Minors. The service can be purchased for all flights operated by ITA Airways and the fee must be paid after the reservation for the entire itinerary has been confirmed. The service will also be guaranteed for connecting flights, even if, should a connection have been missed, ITA Airways has to board the minor on a flight different from the one originally booked.
- the service fee applied remains the same for direct and connecting flights (with stopovers)
- there is no discount for siblings traveling together
- The “Unaccompanied minor” service surcharge is applied to the Children’s fares, either as individual or group, and is automatically included in the tariff which will, therefore, reflect an increase equal to the corresponding amount. The fee for the Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor service will be added to the adult ticket price – both group or individual – and applied via the issuance of a relative document.