ITA Airways Cares for Autism air travel becomes easier
Getting to the airport, finding oneself in large and noisy spaces, boarding an air plane are seemingly simple things, but for persons with autism they can be moments of discomfort.
In such cases, being aware and in control of the situation can make all the difference!
The initiative is part of the broader ENAC project “Autism - Traveling through the Airport.” ITA Airways is the first airline to join, in partnership with the ANGSA association (Associazione Nazionale Genitori perSone Autistiche - National Association of Parents of Autistic People), with the aim of helping people with autism to live serenely a unique experience such as traveling by air, in every moment.
ITA Airways makes its flight simulator available free of charge to autistic people in order for them to experience the thrill of flying and become familiar with a new environment. Because flying is a wonderful experience, but it can be a real discomfort if not properly prepared.
What does it mean to become familiar with the journey?
- to realistically experience the feeling of flying on the ITA Airways simulator assisted by a real flight crew who will explain take-off, cruise and landing operations
- getting used to being in the plane, the cabin, the service and announcements on board, the noise.
- to become familiar with the control and security procedures and boarding locations in order to arrive on the day of departure calm and safe.
Useful things to know:
- On the day of the simulation, the future passenger and any accompanying person must bring:
o A valid identification document (passport or identity card)
o a cabin trolley
- Reception, gate and in-flight welcome and familiarization boarding procedures will be followed by ITA Airways qualified staff, who will be properly sensitized by ANGSA on autism issues.
- A snack and a drink will be provided during the flight simulation (any allergies or intolerances and/or food selectivity must be reported during registration)
- A parking space will be reserved for participants at the P18 parking lot (click here for map)
To participate in the familiarization program, simply send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and that of any accompanying persons.
The first sessions on board the flight simulator at the ITA Airways Training Center (ADR building) in Via Pier Paolo Racchetti in the technical area of Fiumicino airport (click here for the map) will be held on the following days:
- June 24 at 5:30 PM
- July 15 at 5:30 PM
- August 26 at 5:30 PM
At the end of the experience, each participant will receive a "READY TO FLY" flight familiarization certificate.